Sunday 24 May 2015

Luo Han Guo with Lotus Roots dessert 罗汉果莲藕甜汤


It has been a few months since I last updated my blog...it feels good to be able to sit down and post something today.





I bookmarked this luo han guo with lotus root dessert ever since my blogging pal Sherlyn gave me a cookbook filled with delicious dessert recipes. As usual, I procrastinated and eventually forgot about it. It is only when the weather is getting so hot and warm that this recipe came to my mind.



This dessert soup is very simple to prepare as there are only 3 ingredients...lotus root, lou han guo and some red dates. These three ingredients are packed with nutritional values and are known for their wide range of health benefits. There is no sugar added to this soup as the lou han guo is naturally very sweet. I bought the lotus root from the wet market, those which are sold covered in mud. I think this type of lotus root is better as it is more fresh and crunchy.



This healthy dessert soup helps to remove heatiness and moisten the lungs. Besides the health benefits, it is a delightful, fragrant and sweet dessert that can be enjoyed warm, hot or chilled.



Luo Han Guo with Lotus Roots dessert 罗汉果莲藕甜汤

Ingredients:
(serves 4)

2 luo han guo fruits (I used only 1 fruit)
1 large section of lotus roots
6 cups (1.5 litres) of water
10 red dates

Method:
  • Rinse and soak the red dates in some water for about 15 mins.
  • Rinse and crack the luo han guo.
  • Wash and peel the lotus roots. Cut into slices (about 5mm thick).
  • Fill pot with 6 cups of water, add in the luo han guo and red dates, bring to boil. Cover, turn to Low heat and leave to simmer for about 20 mins.
  • Add in the lotus roots, bring to boil and leave to simmer on Low heat for about 15 mins. 
  • Serve hot, warm or chilled (let cool and leave to chill in the fridge before serving).
Recipe source: 甜蜜食堂, 贝太厨房

5 comments:

Kimmy said...

Hi HHB, this is a very healthy dessert 'NO SUGAR'. The sweetness comes from the Luo Han Guo. I wanted to cook this too but not sure how to choose a good lotus root. This one is local or from China? Which is better for this dessert?

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Kimmy, I am not sure where the lotus roots came from ^^!
I left it to the veg seller to choose for me ;)

Amy Baking Diary said...

Hi HHB, it has been a long time since your last post. So happy to see your post appear in my dashboard.

Love this kind of dessert. It's nutrient and good for skin too!

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Amy, thanks for your kind comments :)

Kimmy said...

Hi HHB, tried this dessert 2 days ago. Shared some with my neighbour. We love this dessert very much for it's natural sweetness and the crunchy lotus roots. I added some dried longans, too. Thanks for sharing this healthy dessert.